Monday, August 15, 2005

ERADICATING SPIRITUAL IGNORANCE

During my initiation I made a pledge to devote my teaching efforts to eradicate spiritual ignorance. It is to this cause I dedicate this entry. The subject is Shamanism and the misunderstanding of the word and its meaning. I had someone recently say “I would NEVER refer to a white person as a Shaman.” I asked why and they told me that it is a title ONLY for indigenous people. I asked about the indigenous people of the “Northlands” who happen to be very white. This got the conversation going about what a shaman actually is and its appropriate use. After spending many years in the grips of ignorant radical fundamentalism I spend a great deal of time researching and accurately defining my belief and spirituality. It is from this basis that I encourage all of my friends and colleagues to do the same. Two of the best sources on the subject of shamanism come form famed anthropologist Michael Harner, and a gentleman by the name of Tom Cowan. There are many other writers on the subject but unlike many who are out to prove or promote a particular viewpoint or influence a particular belief system, I find these two writers come from a factual and historical perspective. Truth is the word “shaman” is a culturally specific word that until it’s recent misuse (referring to any indigenous or alternative practice as shamanism) was used in a very limited context in a very remote part of the world. So the moment you have all been waiting for:
According to the Foundation for Shamanic Studies
The word "shaman" originates in Siberia with the Tungus People. In the original Tungus language the word shaman refers to a person who makes journeys to non-ordinary reality in an altered state of consciousness. Although the term is from Siberia, the practice of shamanism has existed in all parts of the world throughout history. After years of extensive research, Mircea Eliade, in his book, Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy, concluded that shamanism underlays all the other spiritual traditions on the planet, and that the most distinctive feature of shamanism-but by no means the only one-was the journey to other worlds in an altered state of consciousness. Shamans are often called "see-ers" (seers), or "people who know", because they are involved in a system of knowledge based on firsthand experience. Shamanism is not a belief system. It's based on personal experiments conducted to heal, to get information, or do other things. In fact, if shamans don't get results, they will no longer be used by people in their tribe. People ask me, "How do you know if somebody's a shaman?" I say, "It's simple. Do they journey to other worlds? And do they perform miracles?"

For more information on shamanism and shamanic healing check out www.healingdrummer.com or email toby@healingdrummer.com

2 Comments:

Blogger cricket said...

Of course, but I realize those worlds are inside as well as "outside" the conscious mind.

I have been a practicing shamen since I was a young girl, and it wasn't until I came in contact with a circle of open minded persons that I realized my full potential. I suffered from the thoughts of persons who proclaimed themselves christian, and I have suffered from the thoughts of those whe claimed to be indiginous spiritual leaders. Bottom line, I have learned to hold to my personal beleifs and my personal character, and have almost always followed my inner knowing, and connection to other realms of this universe. Yes, there have been miracles. And yes there have been big prat falls, but in general I must say that, life as a practicing shamen has been fulfilling. It has always been my reconnecting to MY indiginous beliefs that has kept me together, body,mind and spirit.

I have seen many a proclaimed shaman fall from grace because they let their ego get in the way of their true spiritual gift. It takes an especially strong shamen to look at themself, expose their flaws, and then get back to the work they were gifted with. It is the TRUTH of the shamen that makes the miracles take their first breath. It is in seeing the good with the bad, and knowing they both have equal value in becoming fully human, it is this human element that makes us Shamen.

Thank you Toby for opening the door on this discussion.

7:31 PM  
Blogger andreea said...

It seems that people allow themselves to be ignorant more easily when it comes to spirituality. You are not a shaman unless you are of a certain color or you are not a true yoga teacher, unless you are Indian or have Devic name attached to yours or you just change your name completely to Sri Something Rather. But anyway, yoga has ultimately become part of the culture, first by just being hip and then by becoming more of what yoga truly is, more of a spiritual path, and not just a "stretching-aerobic" 24hour fitness class.
I think the more shamanism is talked about, introduced and explained to people at its true meanings, and how it was incorporated in other practices in our history here, and also Europe, since very old times, people will accept the message, and not give a damn much about the messenger, really. But it is up to the person in the end to be ignorant or not :), right?

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home